Wednesday, January 18, 2012

These things are good

The last few days I have been reflecting on the "good and the bad and the ugly" of Ukraine.  This being our 4th adoption and 5th time to Ukraine, we knew what we were getting into and prepared ourselves to not have any expectations and prayed for Gods will and timing.  We are familiar with the culture, the people, the landscape, the ever changing process of adoption, the sight seeing, the village life, the public transportation and so on.  Both Clarke and I have been embracing this special time and have honestly not been stressed about the adoption process.  We have let go of any kind of control and let God take the lead.  We have been blessed the last 41 days and feel so covered in prayer by all our friends and family.  We have a home in Podil with Karen Springs who has let us house sit during her Christmas time back in the States.  Karen is back now and we are enjoying each others company and are so grateful for her wonderful hospitality.  As our trip is winding down to the last week, I have been doing a lot of thinking about this beautiful country.  I am excited to get back home and start the routine of "normal" life again but at the same time sad that I am leaving Ukraine.

Do you remember the movie "Mask" that came out in 1985 and starred Cher?  If you have not seen this movie, I recommend it.  It is one of those movies that will touch your heart and you will not forget.  The true story of Rocky Dennis is the subject of this heart-breaking film that pulls absolutely no punches.  The youngster was born with a disease that caused his face to be terribly deformed, making it appear that he had a mask.  At the end of the movie a poem that Rocky wrote is read to the audience.

This poem captures his heart and the essence of the movie, 
the last line in each verse echos in my mind.  
*****************************************************************

These things are good
Ice cream and cake 
A ride on a harley 
Seeing monkeys in trees 
The rain on my tongue 
And the sun shining on my face 

These things are a drag 
Dust in my hair 
Holes in my shoes 
No money in my pocket 
And the sun shining on my face.



I decided to write something about Ukraine, much like Rocky did about himself.  I am appreciative and love this country for many many reasons but my heart weeps for all the hardships as well.     



These things are good
Poppy seed rolls with French Pressed coffee
Beautiful white snow peacefully falling down
Watching dogs roam the street
The deep blue sky
And the sweet face of an orphan

These things are a drag
2nd hand smoke
riding the Metro every day
Babushka's begging for money
And the sweet face of an orphan



Sweet face of an orphan


1 comment:

  1. Yes- totally!! {except I'd put the dogs in the drag part!}

    ReplyDelete